"Material was added the wheel cutouts of Devin body to accommodate tiny, 12 inch wheels.."
"Owned by Harry (and Vi) Jones and Lyn De Camp of the Rich and Jones Body Shop in Glendale, California, this car breaks the string on the old adage where the cobbler's family goes without shoes, and the photographer's family goes without family photos!
With the help of chassis designer Jim Troy, the three men designed and built the car in 18 months' time. The truss-type frame is from 1.125 inch seamless tubing, along with smaller diameter pieces for vertical and diagonal bracing. Lotus coil springs and hydraulic shocks were incorporated into the front suspension, which uses unequal-length A-arms. The rear suspension is a stock Crosley Hotshot assembly, with coils and tubular shocks.
Wheels are modified Crosley, with 12 inch (diameter) wide-base rims welded to Crosley centers. This modification provides for 5.20x12 tires at the front and 6.00x12 at the rear.
Having experienced waiting periods of nine months for engine parts for his Moretti coupe, Harry insisted on an American powerplant for the new car. Charles Gardner, of the Mustang Cycle Company, was given the job of building the powerplant. It is a modified Crosley, with oversized valves and Winfield cam, a bore of 748.36cc, and breathes through a dual-throat Weber carburetor.
The body is a superbly finished Devin fiberglass shell, with built-up wheel wells to accommodate the small 12 inch wheels. A carburetor shroud was added to the hood, and hot air escape vents cut into the rear. The fitted shell was then hand-rubbed and painted in the Rich & Jones paint shop -- obviously a labor of love!"
The information above and the photos in this gallery are from
Bob Rolofson, Sports Car Specials (Los Angeles, Trend Books Inc., 1958), p 46-47. This book was generously loaned to the Sports Racer Network by Marty Nygard.
From Original Owners